Monday, October 28, 2013

Thoughts on Color for the {Penny Patch QA}

I need a new project like I need a hole in my head, but I can't resist joining the Penny Patch Beginners Quilt Along over at Stitched In Color .  I had always thought Rachel's original Penny Patch quilt had such a great vintage feel-- nothing too complicated yet interesting enough patchwork-wise.  But what's really drawing me in is finally getting up the guts to free motion quilt (FMQ) something.  My walking foot and I are best friends because I am just so afraid of ruining a quilt top.  Knowing at the end of this the goal is to FMQ it, makes me feel like I'll be able to take that leap.

There are two other things driving me to make this: (1) to give it away as a Christmas present, and (2) to make something using the following color palate (that I just can't stop thinking about... ever happen to you?):




















I saw some quilts on Hey Porkchop's blog (one, two, three, four) that I fell in love with immediately.  I definitely have quilt envy! Then I saw all these quilts in blogland that had me swooning too (one, two, threefour, five, six).   So what better use than for the Penny Patch QA?!  Plus this color scheme will fit in nicely with my recipient's home decor.

Here's my first fabric pull from my stash.  I may replace one of the lighter pinks with a brown if I can find the right shade.



I am planning to make the lap sized quilt... so there are my 10 low volume fabrics, my 9 "A & B" fabrics (obviously I'm using more than just 2 colors), and the black Chicopee print will be my "pop color."  I have a yard of the Tortoise shell print and will most likely use it for part of the back and/or the binding.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous palette and fabrics! I hope you're able to enjoy some cutting and piecing this weekend =)

    ReplyDelete